Monday 17 December 2007

Post from UK

This post is waaayyyyy overdue.

Apologies to the faithful readers. For those who have left or thinking "eh, lama jua inda be-update", please COME BACK! We need readers.... (membari kesian jua ah....) Heheh.
Hopefully there will be more updates from now on. Hopefully.

In any case I would like to WELCOME BACK ALL OF YOU.

For my first post from the land of Fish and Chips, I thought I'd share some badminton stories from the UK.

Why UK? That's coz three of GNR8 members are currently here doing postgraduate studies.
Specifically, two are now in Manchester where we try to play badminton at least once a week (Wednesday). Wished it was more frequent that, but uni life is just not making it possible.

The venue is called Sugden sports centre. There are about 4 halls with about 16 courts. Court condition is okay. Really missed the green carpets of PGGMB and Centrepoint tho.

What is also noticable is that the players in the hall are mostly recreational. Guess the good players are playing in another day or maybe the level of play back home is just that much better, heheh.

The one sad thing also is that they are playing mostly using plastic shuttlecocks. Kesian eh :-) But don't really blame them tho. The price for one tube of feathered shuttlecocks is about 20 quid. That's about 3 times the price at home. So, for those who are thinking 19 dollars is expensive at home, besyukur sudah tu! (Tapi kalau dapat runding to 15 bucks for a yonex aerosensa 5, why not kan?) :-) I'm glad that I brought about 10 tubes from home. Imagine selling it here. Can make a quick quid or two.....

So, to the locals here, I'll leave them with this picture to inspire them. . . .





PS- Hopefully we'll hear stories from our other GNR8 member from Dundee. From what I've heard, he has been playing with some Scottish greats there ;-)

2 comments:

Dot said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dot said...

Gday (opps…wrong greetings haha…). Saw your post just now. Didn’t realise that this website is still alive, well barely alive that is.

Anyway, greetings from team GNR8 Dundee division haha. It has been quite some time since we have been playing badminton. Kadai tutup sini because of the holidays. Goodlah, since I’ve got other things to do such as research papers to complete.

Playing here is ok but antah ah, somehow I seem to be losing my touch. Not really as good as dulu (well I wasn’t that good back then but much better than now haha). Can’t wait to go back home and play good badminton with good green carpet and good feather shuttles. But I am more keen to go back and get my overdue massage and the works hehe.

Some of the players here are really good. But I havent seen any flying smashes though, so alum kira steady lah hehe. Another different thing here is that we play with kilts so that we can be more free to move around quickly (really!! I am not kidding. Am I?? hehe).

Anywho, tats all from me in Dundee. Perhaps Easter we will go down to Manchester and definitely will book a badminton game with you guys (the highlander is going to kick some anglo butts haha). Taro.....