Thursday 17 May 2007

Communication is Key


I would like to share a badminton-related incident. Yesterday, I played in Liang-Lumut Recreation Club with my colleague and regular doubles partner. In one of the many rallies, there was shot that was in the "grey" area that could be rightfully played by either one of us (sort of half-court and locally termed as "bula tanggung"). Yep, you guessed it. We both went for the shot. I ran from the back of the court and my partner from the front.

I didn't even see him and only after the loud "crack", I realised that I was holding my racket which broke in no less than 4 places. After that, it was a blur.... My initial reaction was to see in horror that my dear racket (it was my dad's racket and my favourite for years) was broken. Only then I saw my friend putting his hand on his forehead and blood can be seen trickling from his face.... Everyone in the hall stopped playing to see what the commotion was about.

After everything calmed down, we realised that when I took my shot, my racket actually hit his racket and broke. The broken parts then had sharp edges which landed on his head and face. Fortunately (Alhamdulillah), it did not hit his eyes and the cuts were not deep.

Just goes to show that communication is very important in badminton. Shouting "Mine!" and "Yours!" could be the difference between having a safe & exciting game and a "Going-to-Bintulu-with-a-souvenir" game :-)

To my friend, million apologies. Glad you were still in good spirit after that and we even finished the game! Hope you get well soon.

PS- If anybody knows where to get Pro Kennex Boron 858 (Gold colour, Old Skool i know!), just drop by a note in the message box. Cheers.

1 comment:

Redvaee said...

Rest in peace Pro Kennex Boron 858 . Long live, The Joker!.. Just kidding! heheh.
Seriously, folks we gotta admit that this incident does show our game potents one or two hazards at worst and that obviously we'll have to be more careful in future.
Meaning...less Jumping smashes? Less Fast play at the net??? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

=)

Jester, dont hold back now dude!